Yesterday I had a big craving for vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. Now, this is not some odd pregnancy taste bud change or mood, I LOVE vanilla cake and I was just particularly in the mood for one. So, I set out to create a cake that had that delicious fluffy "box cake" taste but from scratch. This recipe did the trick!
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
5 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
10 tablespoons (1 stick + 2 tbs ) unsalted butter, slightly softened (do not microwave). Cut the butter into 1/2 inch slices onto waxed paper 20-30 minutes before you are ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly coat two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with paddle attachment add the dry ingredients, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder. Stir for 30 seconds so the ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg whites, buttermilk, vanilla and oil. Stir with a fork to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the slices of butter a few pieces at a time to the dry ingredients. Increase the mixer to medium speed and beat until the dry ingredients look crumbly and moistened by the butter. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add 1/2 of the egg mixture. Increase to medium speed and mix for 1 1/2 minutes, the batter will become thick and fluffy. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 pourings, beating for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (or with just a few crumbs attached).
- Let the cakes cool in the pans 10 minutes, then turn out.
For the Frosting
2 sticks butter, room temperature
4-5 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Place butter in stand mixer with whisk attachment.
- Whisk on high for 5-7 minutes until butter is white and whipped.
- Add vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and milk until you receive desired consistancy.