Well these days, with a 5 week old baby at home, anything that says "make-ahead" is extra appealing! Add pumpkin, maple syrup and pecans and it's a win! This french toast is super easy to put together, you can make it ahead of time, and just bake it off fresh in the morning. Don’t you just love overnight french toast recipes? They make entertaining for brunch so much easier! I made this last weekend and it was a BIG hit! P.S. Pairs perfeclty with mimosas :)
- 1 loaf of brioche bread, cut in cubes
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup cold salted butter, diced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the diced bread in the baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, sugar, eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and pie spice. Pour the prepared custard over the prepared baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours and preferably overnight.
- STREUSEL: Combine the light brown sugar, butter, all-purpose flour, pecans, and pumpkin spice in a small bowl. Using your fingertips, mix together until the butter breaks down into smaller pieces. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the french toast casserole.
- When ready to bake, position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. If your streusel starts to brown too much at any point, tent with a piece of foil. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve with maple syrup, butter, and powdered sugar.